Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.
New Question
Specialist Forums > Medical Forum
Posted : January 7, 2011
Hi my fiance and i are due to go to Kenya on honeymoon in September. When she was younger she collapsed her lung by cracking a rib. She is now 35 yars old, just wanted to know if this would stop her dream of scuba diving?

Posted : January 10, 2011
Thanks for the query.

This would be classed as a "traumatic pneumothorax", ie. the lung collapse was due to a injury, and therefore there is no reason to suppose the underlying lung tissue is susceptible to a further collapse. However, your fiance will need a medical from a suitably qualified dive doc to look into the circumstances and assess her properly. They will need to look at the records from the incident so have these available (your GP should be able to provide the notes).

Hope that helps. If you are in or can get to London, then you can see me - 0207 806 4028 for an appointment.

Regards, Dr O
Answer provided by Dr Oliver Firth
Dr Ollie Firth

The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.
About us | Disclaimer & terms of use | Contact us | Site News | Suggestions | Link to us | Advertising Info
© 2006 Personal Print Ltd